Sunday, June 15, 2008

Dodoma Guesthouse Party

We are staying at a guesthouse tonight and for the next two nights where we have a living space separate from the bedroom, a luxury we have not had since moving to Tanzania. Daniel has a fever tonight, but it seems to be just a cold; he has a runny nose and cough as well. He fell asleep early, and Viggo and I are enjoying having a second room where we can stay up a bit without the fear of waking him up. We are also taking full advantage of the free wireless internet here on both our laptops. However, it is now past 9:30 and I can barely keep my eyes open.

We're finally finished with language school, and are excited to be moving on to other things. Yesterday we drove about 7 hours up to Dodoma where we will be staying for about two weeks before heading up farther north to where we will be living. In Dodoma we will be living with a Tanzanian family for 5 nights to learn more about the culture, and we will be getting to know our colleagues here. There is a translation team here working in the Rangi language, which is the most similar language to Mbugwe (the language we will be working with).

I made grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner; my first attempt at cooking in quite a while, as all our meals were served communally at language school.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope Daniel is feeling better in the morning, which is just about now...Aren't you going to Babati to look for houses before you go to Kenya? Did Dad tell you we have a layover in Dubai? That'll be a major contrast to Tanzania.
See you SOON!
ma

Anonymous said...

LOL! Grilled cheese is the first "homemade" meal I made after language school too. And it felt gourmet to us. :)

I'm in Mbeya with my husband and our 3-month old. We've communicated before but I'm not sure if you remember me.

It sounds like ya'll are going to be more remote than we are. May God give all 3 of you strength and perseverance!

www.mccalled.com/dana

Kathryn said...

I hope, hope, hope I get to see you guys when you're here next time. I should start planning to be in the area when you are! Oh, and did I mention, we're expecting baby # 3. We're so excited. I'm 18 weeks. Due Dec 29. Talk to you soon.