Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Home sweet home

So, Viggo has started referring to our hospital room as our temporary "home". He said we should put up a sign that says "welcome to our humble abode" outside the door. I realized today that I am definitely starting to miss just being at home, at our little house in Norway. It seems almost surreal that we are going to be here three or four months, instead of the planned 3 weeks. But under the circumstances, we've decided that we're probably actually better off here in the US, for various reasons. For one thing, in Norway, I would probably have to stay in the hospital alone, with Viggo working and sleeping at home instead of by my side. We'd rather be together, even if the room is kind of small.
We've had quite a few visitors this week, and I've gotten to go across the street (in a wheelchair, for half an hour) for coffee a couple of times. I'm touched that friends from high school who I haven't really kept in touch with very well over the past six years would take the trouble to come and visit me. I really enjoy visits from my family, too. It's always a party with my Mom here. She has developed a hilarious habit of talking to my belly, actually leaning over with her lips touching the belly and having a conversation with the baby. She speaks for the baby too. Daniel says things like "leave me alone, I'm trying to sleep" in a cute baby voice. If you know my mother very well, this will be easy to picture...
Otherwise, I am just trying not to think about the fact that I have been lying here for almost a whole three weeks now. On the other hand, we are grateful that I am still here, rather than out of the hospital with the baby in the NICU.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Julia,

When you do find the inspiration to post, you do a really great job. I find your descriptions and use of pictures to be excellent! And I have gotten to see and hear in person! Keep up the good work. Three weeks is a long time to be stuck in that little room. Ironic, isn't it, that you are doing that so that Daniel can stay stuck in an even smaller womb.

Dad

Pamela Joy said...

Miss you sissy. i'm praying for you lots. mom is so funny. do you ever try to describe her to people who've never met her? hehe.

cyrilla said...

What a precious time to spend with family after being away... and planning to be away even longer in africa! I've added the blog to "our favorites" blog folder so I can check in every so often. It was really nice to hear from you two and see pictures from the wedding and Norway since we hadn't heard from you in so long. Blessings on the three of you, AmandaEve and for Kevin Wigglesworth

Anonymous said...

Luv you gurl! Hang in there!!!

Love from Vera,
busy pretending to be a prof....

Pamela Joy said...

3 pounds 12 oz! He grew like a whole pound! That's awesome. Why have you not called me back? Don't you love me? :-(
No it is ok. We will talk soon. Stay amused and happy as much as possible! Love you sis!

P.S. I still don't really understand the whole updating on the side bar instead of just writing posts... because then if I miss an update I can scroll down and read them all... but whatevs. As you like it.