Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Still waiting...

Happy New Year!

We're still here in the hospital, which of course is a good thing, because it means that baby Daniel is still in my tummy. The nurses put a monitor on my belly for an hour twice a day to watch for contractions and to look at the baby's heart rate and movement. He is usually very active, and they always tell me he seems very healthy. Yesterday I did have a couple of contractions show up on the monitor, but they say a couple in an hour is nothing to worry about. Still, the doctor tells me that it is most likely that I will give birth fairly soon, perhaps within the next couple of weeks. It is still possible that I could carry the baby to full term, though. If my cervix remains as dilated as it is (4cm), they will want to keep me here in the hospital until I'm at least 34 weeks (today I am 28 weeks and 2 days).


I am starting to get a bit bored lying here in my room all day, but it's still quite bearable. I often have someone come to visit in the evening, which makes a bit of a change. If it's my Mom visiting, then we often get takeout for a change from hospital food (which is not bad, but is starting to get pretty repetitive). I started knitting a scarf today, I have some books to read, and we're borrowing a DVD player at the moment. One of the nurses lent me her copy of a national geographic film called "in the womb", and we watched it this evening. It was pretty interesting, with lots of 3D ultrasound footage of real babies in the womb. Viggo is still staying here with me, but he went up to my parents' house for the weekend to get a bit of a break from the hospital. Viggo has also found a good running trail in a park nearby, where he's gone running twice this week.



I was able to get out of the hospital for the first time today. My doctor has said that I can go on a short wheelchair trip once a day, so today Viggo and my mom and sister took me across the street to Starbucks. We didn't stay long, but it was nice to get some fresh air (and a decaf eggnog latte). I have been having a lot of headaches the past few days, which is a side effect of one of the medicines I'm taking, but thankfully I feel a bit better this evening. We're continuing to just take things day by day.




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julia, I'm so glad to hear things are going well. Of course we will continue to pray for you, Viggo, and that precious baby. I sure hope you have recieved those books already... I will call in the next few days (the minutes were a little low, so I was waiting for the new "month" to begin...I think that's on the 3rd or 4th.) Well, enjoy those books if you have them, and read Daniel's book to him. :)
love ya! *hugs*
vive
Oh, and thanks for the belly picture! I had been wondering how you looked, you cute little pregnant lady, you.

Unknown said...

Julia,

I love your blog. It is so interesting to read your thoughts and see the photos. And I actually get to visit you sometimes. For other folks that love you,but can't be here now, this must be a treat!

A kind friend at work read your comment about tiring of take out. He recommended the Chao Pra Ya restaraunt (Thai) in Eugene. It has a web site, so Viggo can find it.
If it is too far for him to walk or run too, I can stop there next time I come for a visit!

Love,
Dad

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Julia! You are doing so well, I am so impressed. I love to be able to read Viggo's pointof view in Norwegian, and yours in English. We keep praying for you. LOVE YOU GIRL!!

Vera

Barb said...

Hi Julia and Viggo,
Viggo you are a lucky man. What, you say, Just look at that lovely wife of yours!!!! You look marvelous darling. Julia that is.
It is good to hear that Daniel is waiting a bit longer to meet us all.
Steph says hi and said to tell you Viggo to get out and run as often as you can. She's back in Hawaii and sorry she will not be here to meet Daniel but very glad he is still in mommy growing. Aren't we all.
Oh I do hope you are singing other songs along with Little Brown Jug! Your mom will have to explain that one to me someday.
Love ya,
Barb

Pamela Joy said...

I miss you already soster. I hope you're not too bored. I would call you today to relieve you of your bordem, I really wish I could, but my sickness has moved into my head and throat leaving me with waaaay more mucas than I need and without a voice. But I'll call you as soon as I find that voice.
love you and praying for you!

Coyets said...

I am pleased that everything is going so well, and I shall be watching for more news about little Daniel Jakob, and hoping that the birth does not come too soon, and that you all stay healthy.